The Pregnancy Diaries
Starting from life pre-babies until the day our children were born.
Thomas George and Mikko James!
"I'm never getting married.", I said. And I meant it.
All throughout my teens and early twenties I was pretty set on never tying the knot. Having kids? Nope. It really didn't even cross my mind as a possibility for my life.
There were too many places to go, too many things to see.. [read more]
Our Thomas George — 1/2/17
That Positive Test — Thomas George
"It's a boy!", said the mime as Tom and I were strolling by.
We were honeymooners, walking a cobblestone path through Venice.
He caught me off guard and I got offended! I know I had eaten an entire pizza and way too much gelato each day but did I look PREGNANT? [... read more]
We found out we were pregnant at about 4-5 weeks. Once we had that positive test, it started to get real... there's a baby on the way!
- My favorite part of the first trimester was telling people we were pregnant. Getting to call my parents, Tom's parents and my sisters, cousins, family and friends was SO MUCH FUN. Everyone seriously freaks out and cries and celebrates and... it's fun. I loved that part.
- It wasn't all laughter and celebration though.. in fact, I was [...read more]
Throughout the first trimester, I felt like... total shitty shit. Everyone said I would start feeling better once we reached the second trimester.
So as week 12 approached I got excited.. I was SO ready to feel good again!
- Week 12 came and went... so did week 13 and 14. I was still nauseous and could barely eat.
Finally as I hit week 15 [...read more]
Having a natural, vaginal, unmedicated birth was my greatest desire from day one. I felt so confident in my body's ability to not only grow a healthy human for 9 months but to also bring that healthy human into the world free from medical intervention. I read so many books and sought support from other moms that had the experience I was aiming for. I had my birth plan written out and printed. In my mind, it wasn't going to happen any other way. Our son, however, had other plans.. [read more}
Our Mikko James — 11/12/18
That Positive Test — Mikko James
It was March 8th, 2018.
I was laying on the couch in all my grumpiness when my boobs started to hurt again.
I was dozing in and out, thoughts whirling through my head when my eyes shot open.
It was like a scene out of a movie.
Ten minutes earlier I was raging at my husband about seriously who knows what when grabbed my pillow and blanket and stomped into the living room.
Just that morning I [... read more]
It just feels crazy to be writing this -- didn't I just write a first trimester post? I did! This time, however, it was an entirely different experience.
We found out really early we were pregnant with baby number two. According to the app on my phone I was only 3, almost 4 weeks pregnant!
The day I took the test, other than my boobs hurting, I felt pretty darn normal. I decided to enjoy it because I knew what was coming.
I found out with George at about 5 almost 6 weeks. Not long after I found out, I got [ ...read more]
Second Trimester -- Mikko James
- Ahh, the sweet, sweet second trimester! Around week 15 my energy came back full force and it was so welcomed. Like last time, I just got to the point where I wondered if it'd ever come back... phew. Back to functioning like a human!
- I decided this is by far my favorite trimester and I put it on cruise control. We've been very busy with moving and buying a house and just summer in general -- I haven't has near as much time this pregnancy to watch my app each week. The whole thing [...read more]
It was 7:30pm on November 11th when I felt my first faint contraction.
I had gone to my room just about an hour before to lay down and rest. I was 38+6, so when I felt some light cramping in my abdomen I didn’t think too much into it.
The cramping disappeared and returned — disappeared and returned. I laid in the dark room with my eyes closed feeling it all. Wondering. Preparing.
I walked downstairs to fill my water and told Tom that I might be having contractions but couldn’t be too sure.
When I got back upstairs I pulled […read more]